Text only

Elderly coupleSupport for Carers

Getting the right support as a carer can make all the difference. There are number of different ways to receive support whether it be emotional support, peer support or financial support. 

As a carer you may be entitled to certain benefits, so it is important that you do a free benefits check to find out what you may receive. Talk to your local benefits advice organisation. If you live in or around Bristol, you can call our disabled people's helpline on 0117 947 9922. Carers UK also provide a free information and advice line on 0808 808 7777. 

Alternatively you can visit the Turn2Us website to use their benefits advice calculator. 

Other financial help such as help with your council tax, your pension, fuel costs etc may be available to you as well. To find more, Carers UK have a comprehensive guide available to download on Looking after someone: carers rights guide 2013-14 (England).

You can do a short carer's self-assessment to find out what type of support you need via the NHS Choices Carers Direct webpage.  

Support from local authorities includes:

  • Community Care Assessment
  • Carer's Assessment
  • Direct Payments
  • Personal Budgets

For more information on this, please refer to Carers UK guide to Looking after someone: carers rights guide 2013-14 (England) or call the social services responsible for the person you are caring for. 

There are lots of charities across the UK who can support you in your carer's role. Some national ones include:

Carers UK

Carers Direct Helpline (NHS) or call 0300 123 1053

Carers Trust

Support from your local doctor:

  • You should let your GP know that you are a carer and ask if this could be registered on your medical record. As a carer you are entitled to an annual flu jab and your GP may offer additional services, such as a regular health checkups.
  • GPs can give information about aspects of a treatment or medical procedure planned for the person you care for and can offer advice on the skills you need as a carer, such as how to change a dressing or give medication.
  • The person you care for may also be able to access support through the NHS. This could include equipment such as wheelchairs, or supplies to help.

Caring for someone in hospital:

Hospitals may often have schemes in place to help you with your caring responsibilities. You should ask the consultant or nurse responsible for the person you care for if there is anything available to you.